Centrul Vechi






THE PALACE OF PARLIAMENT

The Palace of Parliament (Romanian: Palatul Parlamentului) in Bucharest, Romania, is a multi-purpose building containing both chambers of the Romanian Parliament.

According to the World Records Academy, the Palace is the world’s largest civilian building with an administrative function and the second largest building in the world after The Pentagon in the United States. It’s also the most expensive administrative building and heaviest building.

more information >>

THE CEC PALACE

The palace was built as a new headquarters for Romania’s oldest bank, the public savings institution Casa de Depuneri, Consemnațiuni și Economie, later known as C.E.C. (Romanian: Casa de Economii și Consemnațiuni).

The land was bought and the building constructed with the institution’s own funds. Work started on June 8, 1897 and was completed in 1900. The project was designed by the architect Paul Gottereau, a graduate of the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris; construction was supervised by the Romanian architect Ion Socolescu.

more information >>

VICTORIA PALACE

Victoria Palace (Romanian: Palatul Victoria) is a palace in Victory Square, Bucharest, built in 1937, which is the headquarters of the Prime Minister of Romania and his cabinet.

The palace was built under the supervision of Duiliu Marcu (1885–1966), student of the Bucharest Superior School of Architecture (1906) and of Paris Ecole de Beaux – Arts (diplomat in 1912). The monolithic structure materializes an austere expression of the neoclassical style.

more information >>

SAINT ELEFTERIE CHURCH

St. Elefterie Church (Romanian: Biserica Sf. Elefterie) is a church near the Opera House in Bucharest, Romania. It is located at 1 Saint Elefterie Street and was designed by the architect Constantin Iotzu.

This is the new Church, as there is an older church by the same name nearby. It was named after the Saint Eleftherios.

more information >>

CARU’ CU BERE

The Caru’ cu Bere (aka Carul cu Bere; “the beer wagon”) is a bar and restaurant on Stavropoleos Street in the Lipscani district of Bucharest, Romania, opened in 1879[1] and moved to the current location, a gothic revival building designed by Austrian architect Siegfrid Kofczinsky, in 1899. It is noted for its interior decoration, in art nouveau style.

Romanian writer Mateiu Caragiale’s frame story, Sub pecetea tainei, is set in Caru’ cu Bere.

more information >>

CISMIGIU GARDENS

The Cișmigiu Gardens (Romanian: Parcul Cișmigiu) are a public park near the center of Bucharest, Romania, spanning areas on all sides of an artificial lake. The gardens’ creation was an important moment in the history of Bucharest.

They form the oldest and, at 17 hectares, the largest park in city’s central area. The main entrance is from Regina Elisabeta Boulevard, in front of the City Hall; there is another major entrance at the Știrbei Vodă Street, near the Crețulescu Palace. The southwestern corner of the park is adjacent to the Gheorghe Lazăr High School.

more information >>

COTROCENI PALACE

Cotroceni Palace (Romanian: Palatul Cotroceni) is the headquarters and residence of the President of Romania. It is located at Bulevardul Geniului, nr. 1, in Bucharest, Romania. The palace also houses the National Cotroceni Museum.

The royal palace (1883-1895)
Cotroceni Hill was also the place of residence of many of Romania’s rulers for a time until 1883, when King Carol I of Romania received the residences and ordered them demolished with plans to build a much larger edifice in their stead which would serve to house the future heirs to his throne.

more information >>

For more information on Bucharest, visit www.romaniatourism.net